Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas In Chengdu

We are getting ready for our first Christmas here in China and I'm guessing some of you might like to know what it's like here. It is quite surprising how many Christmas trees are actually around town in businesses and outside restaurants. There are also a lot of Santa-themed things, but no obvious representation of the birth of Christ. So, you know, it's just like America! Of course I'm joking...sort of. It has been nice to see the different decorations, but I walked into Sabrina's Country Store (US imports) and right when I came through the door I smelled Christmas!! It is amazing how much the sense of smell triggers emotions and thoughts because I immediately started searching the store for whatever was giving off that heavenly scent of Christmas and home. Soon I found it...a candle! Not any fancy brand name that I recognized, but I grabbed it and kept sniffing it with this silly grin on my face as I walked around the store. At that moment, it didn't matter how much it cost, I would have that candle no matter what!
It was 29 kuai ($5 US) and I doubt I'd pay that back home for a rather generic candle, but this was like finding a diamond to me. There are a lot of different smells here...some wonderful, some downright deathly. The scent immediately transported me back to a "home" at Christmas with visions of hot chocolate and a cozy fire on Christmas Eve.
And then there was this guy! Our living room window looks out over a big plaza where there is always something going on. Today there was a dance troupe dressed in these amazing red costumes that probably had nothing to do with Christmas but everything to do with awesome! This man was really graceful and neat to watch. So, we are pretty excited about Tuesday and are buying/wrapping presents for each other. Violet bought presents for us and she remarked how excited she was that this was the first time she's gotten presents for us so she must be growing up. We have been blessed with new friends who love the Lord and we've been able to celebrate this Advent season with them.

No comments: